John's Journal: Building the Panama Canal

This is my own imagination, John is a fictional character I created. Facts and events are true.


My heart aches as I think of my family, I haven't seen them in 2 years. In fact, I have no company right now. Both my friends died of Malaria and my brother died of Yellow Fever working with me on the Panama Canal. I don't want to work, but I have to, I have no choice. My family is so poor in America that I have to work here to support my family. It's the only job I got. My family only eats a small meal a day. At least I make money working in this dangerous job. Plus, I have to prove myself to my ol'friends back in America. They think I can't lift a single brick or shovel a pound of dirt. I do it everyday now. Working 10 hours, 6 days a week, I am mentally and physically exhausted. Landslides make the job even more dangerous. 10 people working alongside me died in a landslide a couple of days ago. I am lucky I survived. Blowing up rock and shoveling all day in the immensely dusty, sweltering weather. I don't think it's worth it, working this hard work, working in such bad conditions.  I understand why the French gave up trying to build this canal. I hope to get home as soon as possible. I think of my son, the cutest boy ever, and again, my heart aches.

Comments

  1. Kutty, my heart goes out to John Nicely written.. you have transferred the pain and agony of John to the readers.. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what could I say! never knew Panama canal has red history.
    The way you have written really makes me to visualize the scene , very nicely written . . Stay blessed. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am learning history from you, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts